Church towers for bats
Ukrainian youth education project for species conservation
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, prejudices and stereotypes against bats have increased in many places. Especially in remote and rural regions such as in parts of Transcarpathia, the nocturnal hunters do have a rather bad image and are being combated by the local human population, which sometimes wipes out entire bat colonies. Together with IERS and the VGP Foundation, NABU is campaigning for the protection of the small animals through information and environmental education. Since bats seek shelter in church towers and attics of public buildings during the day, these retreats are being expanded and equipped with bat boxes as part of the project. In this way, the habitat of the animals is preserved.
Since our foundation, NABU has been working internationally - we are crisis-tested. We want to try to keep up our nature conservation projects in Ukraine and Russia as much as possible. We are convinced: This war can only be permanently resolved through exchange and dialogue. The war in Ukraine must end immediately - for the sake of humanity and nature.Learn more about the NABU position
Environmental education for young conservationists
One central aspect of the project consists of environmental education workshops for young people in the Carpathian communities. The young conservationists learn about bats and their role in the sensitive ecosystems through playful education. With their newly acquired knowledge, they can become ambassadors for species protection and biodiversity in their communities and help to reduce the prejudices that still exist against bats.
Our project activities
- Examination of church towers and attics of public buildings for their species composition.
- 80 eco-educational activities for children and young people.
- Theatre performance in kindergartens and schools.
- Trainings at the Zoo Museum of the Uzhhorod National University.
- "Night of the Bats" in the Carpathian National Parks.
- Creative contest for children.
- Print material on bat conservation measures.
- Workbook “Living space of church towers”.
- Nature cabinet in the volunteer centre "Everyone can help".
- Production and installation of bat boxes and nest constructions for birds.
Biodiversity Conservation in Church Towers
March 2023 to February 2024
Institute of Ecological and Religious Studies
Sponsored by / Supported by
The project is supported by the VGP Foundation and the NABU International Foundation
With this project we are contributing to the following SDGs
SDG 4, SDG 11, SDG 15, SDG 16 and SDG 17.
MORE ABOUT THE SUBJECT
Transcarpathia in Western Ukraine is considered the safest region in the country: More refugees arrive every day, many of them children. We are collecting donations for our Ukrainian partner IERS, which provides humanitarian aid on site since the beginning of the war. more →