Development programme women and biodiversity
Providing alternative income in a nature friendly manner
In Kafa Biosphere Reserve natural ecosystems are under pressure due to poverty, the need of natural resources for daily life e.g. for cooking and the lack of understanding of the fragility of ecosystems. By valuating ecosystems and natural products, alternative income opportunities for the local population can be generated. At the same time conservation and sustainable use of resources are being promoted and awareness is being created.
Up to now, the potential for development and marketing of natural products is generally rather unexploited in Kafa.
Therefore, the following activities will be implemented:
- Analysis of potentials for natural products (e.g. sales markets),
- Development of business models and marketing concepts,
- Training of at least 300 women for regional product processing/ manufacturing,
- Production and marketing of at least 3 natural products (e.g. wild spices, wild fruit)
- Enhancement program for indigenous pottery (e.g. training, improvement of equipment and tools, marketing)